The seat of the first bishop, Benedict Joseph Flaget, moved from Bardstown, Kentucky, to Louisville in 1841. Designed in Neo-Gothic style by William Keeley and Isaiah Rogers, the Cathedral of the Assumption was completed in 1852. It is the fourth oldest public building in Louisville as well as the third oldest Catholic Cathedral in continuous use in the United States.
Heavenly Light - Kopylow, sung by the Cathedral Choir.
Copyright 1937, Carl Fischer Publishing. Used with permission.